Wednesday, December 7, 2011

BIG OLD GINORMOUS OVERDUE UPDATE

So we had our visit to the E.R. this week... but first let's recap the weekend.  Now that permits are in place the real work has begun but our time is so short! Things have been so busy that we aren't finding a lot of time to take pictures or write blogs. So with that said... Here are the updates in hastily typed, bite-sized pieces.  ;)

Woman + Chain Saw = ?
Not the aforementioned E.R. visit that’s what! I did manage to get a little over an hour in helping Chris last weekend when Jax took a nap and Leah watched the boys for us. My dad told us that he really wanted us to remove the gazebo-like structure by the pond. It had overgrown with vines and was rotting and was now a safety hazard he wanted out ASAP. We had hoped to leave outdoor work for spring – we need the inside of the house livable NOW- but he was right, we wanted any hazards on the property cleaned up right away as well. So there I was, all snug up in a purple hoody, work gloves and goggles wielding a chainsaw.
Why was I the one wielding the chainsaw you may ask? After all Chris is taller, stronger and doesn’t have CFS to deal with. I, however, have extensive experience with chainsaws being the only son my father never had. Yep, my younger years were filled with busting concrete with sledgehammers, building tool sheds and medicating cows (oh, never, never again!) I have taken out a few trees in my time and I know how a chainsaw can kick, bind up and how to clear it quickly. So, it was actually safer to let the shorter, weaker but more experienced member of the family dig in and have some power tool fun.

Special Delivery
With our funds cut low from unexpected remodeling emergencies it was the call from the Sierra Service Project that lifted our spirits and returned some spring to our steps. Flo had brought over her husband's work truck to help us pick up some long lumber pieces when Chris got the call that we could pick up some items that the Sierra Service Project (SSP) could not use and they were not allowed to resell. Hours later, Chris, Flo and Flying Eagle return with a truck bed filled with bathroom features (bathtub, toilet, vanity, sink, lighting, etc.) It was like getting an early visit from Santa. We still have a lot of expenses but every bit that we get donated helps us so much. THANK you, thank you, thank you Robert of Sierra Service Project!

Raking Leaves as Therapy
Finding babysitting has still been a challenge so I have been out of the action watching kids most of the time. I feel frustrated at being so out of the loop and not feeling like I am helping to get the work done with our time so swiftly running out. It was when Jax went to sleep and his older brothers were watching a movie that Becky came home and told me she would be out front raking all the leaves that had been knocked down by the gusting winds earlier this week. I offered to run down to the house and collect a rake and help her with her yard. It was such a relief to be outside; to not have to worry about which kid was getting into what kind of trouble but most of all being able to give a little back to Becky for allowing us to use her home as a safe haven for the kids and I whenever we needed it. (Several full days this week!) So we both went outside and chatted about our kids and yard work as we battled the leaves into a big pile in the street and it felt awesome. It struck me how fortunate we are to have so many kind and giving people in our lives. We truly are blessed.

Authentic Memories
So often parents today stage their memories; they plop their kids in Santa's lap and urge them to smile. Sometimes they go to great lengths to create a memory that wasn't actually a memory at all. It was just a stage play. So when that moment comes when it is real we almost miss it.
I was on kid duty again and feeling frustrated that there wasn't more I could do to help. I had walked the three boys (Jax and my two stepsons) down the street from our safe refuge at Becky's to see Daddy. When we arrived I saw our next door neighbor attempting to wade through an ocean of leaves while his two little daughters played in the front yard. I still had the rake in the back of the car from when I helped Becky earlier so I joined in on the yard work. At first the neighbor said I didn't need to help but I pointed out that a majority of the leaves were from our trees. He thought for a moment and gave me a smile and a nod.
We raked while the kids played and it felt good to be doing something outside. We had all the kids "helping" at one point or another but I found my swift progress hampered when Jax ran up to a huge pile I was trying to get to the street and leaped in. My first flash was "Great. How am I going to get this job done?" When I realized, this was the first time Jax had ever jumped into a pile of leaves! I whipped out my phone and snapped a couple of blurry pics. As I look at those pictures now I feel such a deep satisfaction knowing that the moment was real, the joy of it was genuine and so this blurry, hastily taken photo has become my favorite one of all.

We shall call him: Frankenpinkie!
A Visit to the E.R.
First off, it's not what you think. We were actually at "home" in Folsom. Chris was doing something completely unrelated to the renovation when it happened. "It" being slice his finger open with a super sharp Leatherman knife while working on a little model car for his oldest son's boy scout project. It was early Monday morning when I hear. "Honey! I can't get it to stop bleeding!" A few hours later, we somehow manage to get Chris all stitched up (nine stitches in all, luckily he missed most of the tendon) his two sons to school in Roseville, my daughter dropped off to school (all three kids made it on time no less!) and Jax packed into the car for us to get down to the 58th street house in time to meet the electrician at 9:30 am! Yep, this was going to be a crazy week...

Hot lunch for cold volunteers.
Where Did All of These People Come From?
Tuesday finds us packing up Jax again. Well, I am packing up Jax. I am trying to do as much as possible to keep Chris from tearing open his stitches so I am watching him like a "Mother Hen" (as Flying Eagle calls it) while I wrangle Jax and pack up food for ourselves and volunteers, toys, tools and plenty of diapers (for Jax, obviously). I decided to pack supplies to make my famous Chicken Melts because with the weather so frigid and the house not yet heated I wanted to give everyone a hot lunch. I was glad that I had packed extra supplies as we had a lot more folks helping out today than I had thought. Flying Eagle was helping out as usual (where would we be without him? Probably homeless!) but one of my other Tai Chi students, Nick, decided to ride his bike 45 minutes to our house to help out too. The electrician is back working and I offer him a hot sandwich too. Later in the afternoon Justin comes to help out yet again! I wonder if it's the food...

City workers chat with Chris.
Currently...
We have heard back from a plumber that should be coming out later this week so we can hook up all the nifty stuff we got from SSP. The City of Sacramento will be working on removing the ancient, forgotten water main. The electrician is coming back in a few days and we are hoping to get our first inspection done soon so we can start putting up drywall in the gutted kitchen. We got a great deal on a HVAC unit (nothing fancy but we will have HEAT!!!!) but it still cost thousands and will wipe out the rest of our funds after we pay the electrician (who also gave us a great deal!). Not having any credit to speak of SUCKS.
We still have to figure out what to do about getting a fridge, counter tops, drywall (we may have a lead on someone donating unwanted drywall to us, keep your fingers crossed!) and the hundreds of little things that add up and drain our wallets dry. I am planning on making goodies as holiday gifts for our volunteers/donors so I will be whipping out batches of divinity (yes, I can actually make divinity and the secret to making it in winter is using a space heater in the kitchen to alleviate humidity, a thick crockery bowl and WOODEN spoon!), toffee, various nut brittles and of course my varieties of cobbler that seem to be in such high demand. Anyone want to join in on the fun? :-)

Gushing broken 70+ year old  water main. Missed that post? Check out our last blog.

LEARN MORE ABOUT WHAT WE ARE DOING AND SEE MORE PICTURES OF THE PROJECT AT OUR WEBSITE: WWW.GROVETRIBE.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment