Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Waiting to Exhale

Ken "Aquaman" Malinowski lived in our bathtub for three days.

BACK ONLINE!


The past couple of weeks have been full of mayhem, craziness, all-nighters and an incredible amount of bonding with family and friends who have become family. I have so much to tell you but I still don't have much time. I have spent hours with a nail gun, a little time piping in grout, installed cabinets, bathroom sinks, lighting and so much more. I am amazed at all I have learned and at all I can do now. Here is a brief update and I hope to start giving you much more information in the next couple of days.

Teaser. A brief glimpse of the living room as we enjoy a GroveTribe dinner provided by Leta Channell.
Phase One Ends, Phase Two Begins
WE ARE IN! Special thanks to Nick and his friend TJ for exhausting themselves to get us out of our former residence in time! We reached our goal and made the house livable in time for the move, but livable and finished are two very different beasts. There is lots more to do but you can see how beautiful the house is going to look so very soon. I will be posting progress pictures but I will not show you the finished look until after we have our unveiling party this spring. We have decided that we will have a public unveiling earlier in the day followed by a thank you party for our volunteers. We have had new donors and new volunteers showing up but we still need a lot of help so if you want a sneak peek and give us a hand feel free to give us a shout.

Not pretty.
FML
Yesterday was fun as we discovered that the basement was flooding from a backed up sewer line. Trouble is, over half of our belongings were stored in boxes stacked five high on the floor and I was home alone with the kids as Chris drove back to Folsom for his return to work after to weeks off to work on the house. While Morgan watched Jax I was ankle deep in freezing water, sobbing as I hurled our belongings to safety through either the large front window or the small back door of the basement. I think I had one of those adrenalin surges that folks use to pull cars off of people because I worked so fast that almost everything was saved.

Well, not everything...
Chris lost all of his yearbooks and most importantly some papers that documented his 200 mile bicycle trip with his father. I lost something I had not even realized that I had: a small old booklet that was filled out by my grandmother me telling me about my family and her life. I read the soaked pages and cried some more realizing there was no way to save it.

So we lost a day to renting rootering equipment and drained the last of our funds. We have $30 to last us until payday and we owe folks money.  Jeez....

Georgio at Power Inn Home Depot
Home Depot Hero
Georgio Herrera went to amazing lengths to help us. More on this later because what Georgio did for us deserves its own blog.

"NICK!!!"
This name has been shouted over and over again in the past couple of weeks, Nick and his father Ken have spent long days helping us with flooring and are solely responsible for the STUNNING tilework in our bathroom not to mention a hundred other ways they have been there for us. Guys, we owe you BIG TIME and we are amazed at your spirit, intelligence and work ethic. Ken is a landscaper by trade and I have spent a lot of time with him and watched him work. If you need any landscaping done by someone who will do an amazing job with honest integrity please contact Ken. He and his family deserve to be too busy to help us anymore (which is what happened to our wonderful painter Mike).

Ken Malinowski
Owner, Garden Grow Landscaping

http://www.gardengrowlandscape.com
(916) 730-4000
Justin and Nick tackling the bamboo flooring.
 We want to thank John Neil, Leta, Justin, Nick, Ken, Mike, TJ, Georgio, Flo, Paul, Ralph (Home Depot, taught me how to install cabinets all by myself) and so many others for their help this past week. So much more to share but we have so much to do! Come join the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment